Main Messages updated Monday 26th May 2020 at 11.55 am
Events section updated Friday 1st May 2020 at 4.05 pm
Your browser may store an old version of this page, remember to refresh it to get the latest update.
New Guidance on Training for our Club
On 15th May, England Athletics (EA) published their guidance based on the latest changes to the Government Covid-19 advice from 10th May. This reflects the new rules regarding exercising and meeting persons from other households. In general it’s good news that athletes can now train in public places more than once a day and can travel to get to a good spot.
The guidance looks long but is, in fact, quite readable with versions tailored for athletes, coaches and facility providers. Our club committee and coaches have reviewed the guidance and have developed the club’s approach, based on England Athletics advice.
The main points are:
- Two athletes from different households can train together in pubic places whilst observing social distancing;
- Whilst England Athletics suggests that coaches can carry out one to one sessions with one athlete whilst observing social distancing (for athletes under 18 this must be done within the sight of a parent or guardian) we are not, currently, organising this as a club and do not expect our coaches to offer this generally to their squads.
- We understand that there will be some special cases where coaches and individual athletes feel that feel that the need for this one-to-one coaching is pressing. If this is the case then coaches and athletes should organise the coaching between themselves and the coaches will:
- make our Welfare Officers aware of the sessions;
- follow the advice on appropriate measures for their discipline in “Guidance For Athletics & Running Coaches & Leaders” (including for U18s and vulnerable adults); and
- provide risk assessments for the sessions, including COVID-19 measures;
- We have not heard from Serco about their plans (if any) for reopening the track. At the moment therefore, the track remains out of bounds. Our Committee and coaches will continue to develop our approach should this change, taking into account whatever restrictions may be in place at the time;
- England Athletics are clear that formal club and group activity continues to be suspended due to the requirements for social distancing. Our club will continue the current programme of virtual social events and training.
- The suspension of competition until the end of June (and probably beyond) remains in place.
We ask that all members please continue adhere to the guidance given by the governing body. We know it has been a frustrating and challenging time but this is a positive move in the right direction.
However, your Club is Still Here
We welcome the freedom to get out more often and to more places exercise and our club is still here to help you make the most of that.
All the club volunteers (coaches, club committee, administration, officials) are working hard behind the scenes to support members. Look out for the messages from your coach on your squad’s favourite communication platform for this week’s training sessions. In line with Government and England Athletics advice, all coaching will be virtual but your coaches will have advice on how to keep fit so that you are ready to get back to full training and competition and as soon as possible. You can also contact your coach (electronically) for advice on training that you can do on your own; bear in mind that it may take them a while to respond.
Just a reminder that “ALL ACCESS TO THE TRACK IS CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE” and no club member may enter the track’s boundaries until further notice. If you need to collect items or belongings, contact one of the Club officers via the Contacts Page and wait for them to get in touch.
With more people starting to use our public spaces, England Athletics’ (EA) advice about athletes giving consideration to other users is even more relevant. EA ask athletes training in public areas to take responsibility for social distancing. When training outside, athletes should look ahead and plan to overtake when there is enough space to keep 2m away from others, or slow down: “don’t expect others to move out of your way – you move for them”.
England Athletics and UKA have now suspended all athletics competition until the end of June (see more detail in the section below). Some competitions beyond that have been cancelled / rescheduled. Please look below and on the competition providers’ website.
YDL (Youth Development League) – The UK YDL committee have reviewed the summer fixtures. They realise that when we get back to competition there will be a crowded timetable with all the postponed matches and events at all levels wanting to use the same dates, with pressure on athletes, coaches and officials alike. For a number of reason, including their wish to encourage clubs to run local competitions once we get back to training, they have cancelled all YDL (Upper and Lower) matches this summer.
Club Champs (was 26th April) – we are hoping that we can reschedule this event for the first Sunday in September. Please put Sunday 6th September in your diary and we’ll keep you updated. All athletes from other clubs who entered our cancelled event in April have been contacted individually (if you are one of those and didn’t receive the email please look in your junk mail).
Radley Open -the latest is that the Radley Track and Field competition, usually held in March has been re-scheduled for 13-Sep-20, so please add this one to your diary, for now! Note that there is no more information on the Radley AC website at the moment but if you want to know what to expect, follow this link.
Bucks and Oxon County Championships (was 30th – 31st May) has been cancelled in line with England Athletics advice.
SAL (Southern Athletics League) – Fixtures up to and including 7th June are cancelled.
England U23/U20 Champs (was 6th & 7th June) are to be postponed. More details will be made available by England Athletics later.
- U20/ Senior Championships (was Sat 27th & Sun 28th June) have been postponed.
- U13/U15/U17 Championships (was Sat 15th & Sun 16th August) are under review
- All Ages Combined Events (was Sat 25th & Sun 26th July) is cancelled
- U15/U17 Inter Counties (was Sat 5th September) is cancelled.
England Athletics has a list of its cancelled events.
Membership Renewal – Updated 26th May
Our Committee have reviewed the club membership renewal position.
We know that this is an uncertain time, both health wise and financially, for many families.
We still believe that it is inappropriate to start the new membership year (2020/21) with accompanying fees. We have decided to follow the England Athletics model and are extending the 2019/20 membership year on a rolling basis until we feel it is appropriate to charge membership fees and start the new membership year. The 2019/20 membership year is therefore extended until 30th June 2020, in the first instance. In the meantime we will continue to cover club expenditure from our reserves.
Please continue to watch for the normal Club communication channels for any updates or changes.
Information from Government and Governing Bodies
On 15th May, England Athletics produced some further guidance on a “restricted return to activity” and the details are at the top of this page.
Keep well and best wishes to you all.